Popular Posts

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Aalborg Advice

Below is a list of tips I have made to help other Swinners who are going to Aalborg settle in easier and faster.

Packing:
  •  If you are going in the first semester of the year it is winter in Aalborg so it is going to be very cold. You will need a warm jacket, scarves, gloves or mittens and warms socks. Think the very coldest days we get in Melbourne and then it is a bit colder than that! Also waterproof boots and gloves because if it snows it is going to be very wet!
  • All those bulky winter clothes take up a lot of space in your luggage so use one of those vacuum bags. You can fit heaps more in that way. Just don't go over your luggage weight allowance.
Arrival in Aalborg
  • When you first get here you will need a bus pass. It is the cheapest way to travel on the buses, and it lasts for a month. Bring one of your left over passport photos because you need one for your bus pass. Otherwise you will need to buy one here, and it is very expensive!
  • http://cyclerhuset.blogspot.com/ A lot of Danskers get around by bicycle. There are bike lanes on nearly every road; so it is pretty safe.  If you are near the university, it is going to be the quickest way to get around. A good second hand one will probably be around 600knr
Uni Accomodation
  • There is an accomodation office that can sort out a place to stay, for a price. This was the option I took so I don't know if renting privately is cheaper, but you run the risk of spending a lot of money on hostels (which there are not many cheap ones in Aalborg) until you find your accomodation.
  • Most of the accomodation is furnished; you will have a bed, desk and wardrobe at a minimum. The university rent out pillows and blankets etc. but I don't reccomend it. A lot of the rooms will have stuff left behind by other occupants for you to use. Or you can go to an op shop and get it. I only needed sheets and they were 20kr each, whereas the university wanted 300kr. I will probably leave the sheets here for the next person to use. Aren't I nice!
Food.
  • Firstly, it is not like Australia which is quite cheap. Food is expensive, so find the nearest Aldi, Fakta, Lidl or Fotex to shop at for all your basics.
  • Take your lunch to campus. There aren't many other options for food at Aalborg Univeristy like there is at Swinburne. Each of the main buildings will have a canteen but it is really expensive.
  • Coffee. Sadly coffee is not the same as it is in Melbourne. Espresso style coffee is very expensive compared to Melbourne prices. Just wanted to warn you, I am addicted and it has so far been hard for me to adjust!
I will add more as I find out more!

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I think that you should include in your list of supermarkets also Netto (specially in the city center), as far as I know is one of the cheapest I found since I'm here (September) and the quality is not bad ;)

    Bytheway, I like your blog and your style, surely I will follow you, an australian point of view of Aalborg will for sure be different than the spanish one ;)

    Cheers;
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete