Popular Posts

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Danish Universities

Study in Aalborg is quite different than at Swinburne Univeristy.

For a start I don't have the myriad of assessments in all my different topics throughout the semester. It is just one major one at the end.
All the classes or lectures are to help you get an understanding of your topic for your 'project' to allow you to write the best project you can. Aalborg University has a model called 'problem based learning'. So for example if you were an engineer you would be looking at a particular problem with bridge design and your whole semester would be geared towards finding a solution. Your lecturers don't know the answer, you have to find it yourself. It is not like psychology assessments at all, where the teachers already have the answers, and can tell you if you are right or wrong.
I am doing literature so my project is a major analysis of a text of my choice. Being given so much freedom in my study is exciting and scary! I can chose any book I want (as long as I can write 15,000 words on it), but what the hell do I choose!

It makes me wonder do Australian Universities go too easy on students? It seems they hold our hand through every assessment so that we get the best mark that we can. Here they just hold the door open and you have to walk through it yourself.
I think I am already a much better writer and critic for it already, but I think the australian school system has certainly instilled in me some need for constant feedback. I feel like Lisa Simpson, "Please rank me, grade me, I have been good and I am so, so smart!" The Danes are just expected to get on with it, and not expect so much hand holding from their teachers. I haven't decided which system is better.
Perhaps once I get a grade for a project I can say.

No comments:

Post a Comment